Shake Shack is one of New York's most popular burger chains, which I've been dying to try out since we visited last March. Now that we only live a block away from one (dangerous), we decided to check it out on Friday. We've got a few really delicious burger joints in San Diego, most notably Burger Lounge, so we were curious to see how Shake Shack would measure up. We ordered a cheeseburger, Shake Burger, portobello mushroom burger, french fries, chocolate shake and two beers. And yes, in case you're wondering, it was just Jeff and I at dinner. I tried the Shake Burger, while Jeff sampled the portobello mushroom burger and cheeseburger. My Shake Burger was pretty good and my favorite part was the bun, which was a touch sweeter than the buns I'm used to at Burger Lounge. Jeff's portobello burger was . . . interesting. It was certainly not the "healthy" vegetarian burger alternative we thought we were getting. It was basically a deep fried portobello mushroom stuffed with cheese. Yummy. The crinkle-cut fries were fun and the chocolate shake met my #1 criteria for chocolate shakes: it was actually made with chocolate ice cream, not vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. All-in-all, we thought the burgers were good but a touch overrated, and no match for Burger Lounge.

The Shake Shack sampler platter
Taste test
No comments:
Post a Comment